Saturday, January 12, 2013

Hieratic - Slow it down

If you've followed my blog for long enough you probably know that I'm an aggressive player.

I can't really play control deck like Machina Gadget, HERO Beat, Dino Rabbit, Wind-Up (yes, at least to me),... My favourite decks are Chaos Dragon, Karakuri and Hieratic.

You can take a look back at this post to see how I'm in love with Hieratic. It's the deck with the best (and also the most) OTK combos, and I simply love it. Another reason is that the meta is too fast that if I can finish my opponent, he will kills me when I'm defenseless. That's why I've not done anything about Karakuri: They're cool and able to put around 6000 damage on board easily. But they stop at that, I can't come back if my opponent goes explosive after my explosive turn.

But today I want to create another direction for Hieratic. Slow controlling game and finishing in 2-3 turns

Monster [20]
2 Cardcar D
1 Gorz
1 Ghost Ship
1 Divine Dragon Apocralyph
1 Wattaildragon
1 Luster Dragon #2
1 Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon
3 Hieratic Dragon of Su
3 Hieratic Dragon of Tefnuit
3 Hieratic Dragon of Nebthet
3 Hieratic Dragon of Eset

Spell [12]
1 Dark Hole
1 Heavy Storm
1 Monster Reborn
2 Pot of Duality
2 Seal of Convocation
2 Enemy Controller
3 Mystical Space Typhoon

Trap [9]
2 Bottomless Trap Hole
2 Fiendish Chain
2 Compulsory Evacuation Device
2 Solemn Warning
1 Solemn Judgment

Extra [15]
3 Gaia Dragon Thunder Charger
3 Hieratic Dragon King of Atum
2 Constellar Ptolemys Messier 7
1 Photon Strike Bounzer
1 No25 Force Focus
1 Inzektor Exa Beetle
1 Queen Dragun Djinn
1 Adreus Keeper of Armageddon / Volcasaurus
1 Constellar Pleiades

If you're playing TCG then you should consider Sword Breaker, and add more copies of Bounzers/Force Focuses. They're are really cool in this deck.

The deck look weird right? Random monsters, Enemy Controllers and heavy traps

So what it does?

Basically the deck is meant to take advantage of Su's and Nebthet's destruction effects: Destroy something and get a vanilla for a plus, or Enemy Controller's stealing effect and get a plus too.

Basic play: Make Atum + REDMD (0/0) + Wattaildragon like usual. Attack with the vanilla, set traps and end. Now if you opponent can break through, he'll be killed next turn.

Cool play I've made: Summon Eset/Tefnuit, tribute for Nebthet, tribute from hand to destoy something, exceed the vanillas into Atum, get out Su, tribute Nebthet to destroy something, get the vanilla and make Bounzer/Force Focus. Of course you can make another Atum if you have good stuffs in hand and it's still an OTK combo anyway but the deck has traps to protect Atum. You'll find yourself using Atum's effect 2 times a lot, and not many people can survive after you resolve both REDMD's and Atum's effect again one turn after the combo.

Ghost Ship is there when you are going explosive and you need 1900 damage more, or you need something to go with Eset/Nebthet. Usually I make Adreus (or Volcasaurus if you play OCG) for clearing field and cool damage.

Divine Dragon is for late game: Make Atum, get out DDA, get back REDMD, remove DDA for REDMD, get back something. It could be an OTK (2600 + 2500 + 2800)

Enemy Controller is cool when you're against monsters that you hate. It's like... summon Tefnuit, tribute for Su, tribute Su to take opponent's Zenmaines/Gantetsu, get another vanilla, make Exa Beetle and send Zenmaines/Gantetsu to grave, or make Atum, get out a Hieratic and go for a cool tribute summon. That's why Queen Dragun is there: Enemy Controller takes a level 4, make Atums, get DDA, xyz Queen Dragun, get back a Hieratic and tribute it for more combos. And of course sometimes you just need to clear the way for an OTK (most likely getting Tragoedia out of the way)

Remember it's more like a control deck with the ability to pull out OTKs sometimes.

So what do you think?

P.S. For Kyde from Digital Mortal and LGQ from YGO 0th Theory, if you randomly look at this can you express your opinions?

2 comments:

  1. If i would to run a pseudo-control version of Hieratics i wouldn't main triple Nebthet. 2 would be more than enough plus i don't see how you need Divine Dragon. Its good but its situational at the same time making it a "win more" card. Solemn Warning is arguably good now due to Verz but it can be switched out for CotH (Su/Neb abuse or random versatility with ECON.)

    Instead of running Ghost Ship, why not try out Solar Wind Jammer? I gives you access to first turn Sacred Pleiades depending on what deck you're going against. There are times when you don't wanna throw out a hook or straight instead play around with jabs. Pleiades+Lance is pretty awesome nowadays. ECON is a classic i suppose and i can see its role in this deck.

    Paying 2k isn't exactly the best option and you're already packed with Chain, CED, and BTH so perhaps something like Threatening Roar might come in handy given the fact that you run minimum hand traps and back-rows are vulnerable as we know it. Otherwise, i don't see anything else to change. Random Photon Trasher could be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too sure about Nebthet but OCG people on Shriek run 3 so... I feel like 1, 2 or 3 is just not too much different. Sometimes multiple Hieratic become explosive so I'm not quite sure. In this version monster destruction is good and I just leave it at 3

      I've thought about Solar Wind Jammer but if you run 1, you can't be sure to get it first turn. Running more than 1 is... cloggy sometimes (results from my testing). It's probably because of different play styles but I never do anything on my first turn.

      The Divine Dragon is not like that. In my second turn I often put Atum + REDMD on field so later I need it to get back REDMD. If I draw into it there're ways to abuse too. I can make Exa Beetle, send away REDMD and normal summon Divine Dragon and OTK. Other situation is when I take control of a level 4 (most frequently Thunder King), I can make Atum, get Divine Dragon, discard something irrelevant (often Card Car D or a vanilla) to get back a better Dragon, then make Queen Dragun Djinn. Queen is really amazing, trust me.

      Not sure about the trap line-up. I'll try Roar

      Delete