Friday, November 2, 2012

Chaos Dragon - My take on it

This is a decklist post!

But before I show you guys my Chaos Dragon build, I've got something to talk about it.

So the September ban list took away Future Fusion and 2 (1 in other builds) Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragons (REDMD).

In fact I don't really care about the former. Trust me or not, I've never played Future Fusion in all of my Chaos Dragon builds since I got my SDDCs. Reasons? Same as Peter Gross, it's a power card, but it also makes your opponent's Mystical Space Typhoons (MST) live. Because I wanted to make them DEAD, I decided not to include Future Fusion. Surely that means I didn't have any YOLO moments, but when I lost one copy of Recharge and replaced it with Future Fusion, Lyla milled it all the times. To conclude, I didn't think I needed it.

However, with REDMD limited to one copy per deck, my deck (more like my style, whatever) had to change. I'm used to special summoning REDMD from my hand, getting more dragons to my field and killing my opponents in less than 2 turns. My goal is not generating the REDMD-Lightpulsar loop. My goal is eliminating my opponent's 8000 LP, so I played 3 REDMDs (and 3 Eclipse Wyverns, 3 Darkflare Dragons) because REDMD in hand meant more damage.

Back to present. Deck changed, my playstyle did not. I sill want to do big big push, as big as possible, rather than controlling the field or such... Since 1 REDMD is never enough (even with Eclipse Wyverns at 3), I need to find another way of dealing damage. I tried everything: the Lightrays, Hieratic Dragon of Tefnuit (and Su, once, to make Atums), Gold Sarcophagus/Pot of Duality/Card Car D. The problem is that I never draw the right cards at the right time, like top-decking Card Car D when I need a Dark or Light to feed Lightpulsar, or late game Gold Sarcophagus when I have used/milled all the BLS, REDMD, Heavy Storm, Monster Reborn, etc..., or even Tefnuit when my field is already filled with monsters, Lightray when I have dropped all the Chaos things and did not even have 3 different Lights...

Shit.

And then I realized I was playing a Dragon combined with Lightsworn deck, and the Lightsworn boss is a Dragon which can be searched with Eclipse Wyvern.

So? I increased the number of different Lightsworns, added 1 Judgment Dragon as a tech. It did surprisingly well that I decided to play a full set of Judgment Dragons. Of course I got dead draws like hell LOL

Still, that's my way. After weeks of testing I finally come up with a deck I'm quite satisfied with:

Monster [32]
2 Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress
2 Ryko, Lightsworn Hunter
2 Ehren, Lightsworn Monk
2 Lumina, Lightsworn Summoner
1 Garoth, Lightsworn Warrior
1 Jain, Lightsworn Paladin
2 Tour Guide from the Underworld
1 Sangan
2 Thunder King Rai-Oh
2 Eclipse Wyvern
2 Tragoedia
1 Gorz
3 Darkflare Dragon
3 Lightpulsar Dragon
2 Judgment Dragon
1 Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon
1 Dark Armed Dragon
1 Chaos Sorcerer
1 Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning

Spell [8]
3 Solar Recharge
1 Charge of the Light Brigade
1 Dark Hole
1 Heavy Storm
1 Monster Reborn
1 Mystical Space Typhoon

Something's missing? Yes, I don't want to play more than 40 cards so Card Troopers have been cut from the deck.

The Tragoedia and Rai-Oh are pretty randoms, change to Doomcaliber Knight, Maxx C, Veiler of your own choice depending on the meta in your area.

Basically the deck's strategy did not change much: when you're safe, drop as much damage as possible. Simple huh?

With REDMD in graveyard, Judgment Dragon + Lightpulsar = GG. Or even if you opponent has Gorz, you can just pay for Judgment Dragon again and set up the exact same field in main phase 2.

Ehrens get rid of set monsters to clear the way for your push. You don't want to attack into Ryko, Snowman, Fossil Dyna Pachycephalo etc... It's my way to improve the Geargia match-up as well. Jain helps killing Rai-Oh. I'll play it at 2-3 if Jain milled 3 at End Phase, sigh.

The lone Typhoon is random, too. Sometimes I face Skill Drain/Soul Drain so I think I need it. At 1 because of tight deck space, and the deck thins itself very well.

Judgment Dragon is the boss of bosses, trust me.

That's it. Comments, as always, are highly appreciated.

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment